March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, November 17-23
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 04.13.09
- The fog rolls in — 24 hours in 144 seconds
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 04.20.09
- book review — “River of Shadows: Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West”
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license