March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- #31: Carville — A Lost Neighborhood
- #34: The San Francisco Twins
- #27: Patty Hearst, revolutionary sweetheart
- Sparkletack Interview: Amateur Traveler Podcast
- “story of treasure island” transcript online
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license