March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- #64: San Francisco’s Treasure Island (pt. 2)
- #40: Luisa Tetrazzini and Christmas eve
- #45: Frank Chu Just Shows Up
- San Francisco toothpick contraption, 35 YEARS in the making
- poll: choose your favourite sparkletack episode!
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license