March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, December 22-31
- #54: The Notorious Lola Montez
- tour review — ferry building (sf city guides)
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, December 1-7
- #43: San Francisco Motorcycle Club — Since 1904
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license