March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- Timecapsule podcast — San Francisco, October 20-26
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, November 10-16
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 04.13.09
- tour review — san francisco ghost walk
- ’39 world’s fair butterfly
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license