March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- Tour Review — Chinatown Alleyway Tours
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 01.26.09
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, November 3-9
- SFist — tippling with kipling, san francisco 1889
- #66: Alma de Bretteville Spreckels
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license