March 3, 2006
Though the rest of the country thinks of Samuel Langhorne Clemens as a southerner, it was a spell in San Francisco and the wilds of California which turned young Sam into "Mark Twain".
This week’s podcast tells the story of how a misfired duel, a bungled gold-mining claim, a suit for libel — and yes, a frog — conspired to create a work which took New York by storm and helped to forge an American original.
- Zoe the Pirate returns to Treasure Island
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, December 8-14
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 04.06.09
- #15: The Golden Gate Bridge and Suicide
- Timecapsule podcast — San Francisco, September 22-28
Thanks to Tom Joad for the banjo tune “Bonaparte’s Retreat” – provided under a Creative Commons license