March 18, 2006
In an attempt to answer the oft-voiced question "what is that thing, anyway?", in this week’s podcast a visit is finally paid to this sumptuous Victorian repository for cremated remains, the baroque center of what was once a 167 acre cemetery in the center of San Francisco. It’s a spectacular building, but the real discovery comes in the form of its soulful caretaker, Mr. Emmitt Watson.
For further edification:
» the Neptune Society
» Columbarium - sfhistoryencyclopedia.com
» Emmitt Watson interview - sfgate.com
» mystical connections?
» extispicy - blog entry
» Bernard Cahill - architect
» Columbarium - google maps
- #51: The Columbarium and the Caretaker
- OldSF.org – Map of the San Francisco Public Library’s Historical Photo Collection
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 03.30.09
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 04.13.09
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, October 27-November 2