April 1, 2006
All sorts of San Francisco legends shared her stage and its Barbary Coast history, among them Oofty Goofty, Big Bertha, Lola Montez, Emperor Norton and little Lotta Crabtree. Today’s podcast tells the story of the 60 years in which the “Bella” was the most popular show in town.
For further edification:
» The Barbary Coast - Herbert Asbury, 1933
» San Francisco Theatrical Memories - James Madison, 1925
» Women in Early San Francisco
» Emperor Norton - Sparkletack
» Marriott’s “Avitor”
- San Francisco Timecapsule: 01.19.09
- #63: San Francisco’s Treasure Island (pt. 1)
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, October 27-November 2
- Timecapsule podcast: San Francisco, December 8-14
- Zoe the Pirate returns to Treasure Island
Thanks to Tom Brown’s player piano for this week’s music, discovered at internetarchive.org, thanks to a Creative Commons license.